We Are Creative Commerce Experts
Our team is driven by a single purpose – to create stunning commerce experiences for our customers, every time. We are creative thinkers with a keen eye for detail and developers with a knack for innovative solutions, powered by a lot of coffee and a commitment to our craft that is unrivalled in our industry.
As a Senior Designer and Creative Team Lead at Pointer, you will split your time between designing and leading. The expected time allocation would be 75% senior designer and 25% team lead, reporting to the Director of Design.
As a senior designer, you are responsible for creating high fidelity designs that translate into stunning Shopify sites using best practices for modern web design. The expectation of the senior designer is to push the creative envelope for each client that also meets the project needs and requirements. You should have a curious nature, stay on top of trends in commerce design, are aesthetically driven, and value being a key member in an intelligent and multi-disciplined team. A positive attitude and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
As a team lead, you will assist with streamlining the design process by being accessible to the Director of Design, other designers and the account managers. You will be involved within the design to development hand-off process to review functionality, recommendations to the design team, provide estimates, review client work outside of your own clients, and have a full understanding of all current projects and their scope of work. Client facing and leading by example, as well as providing support and guidance to your other team members.
This job is based out of our office in Ottawa, Ontario.
- Sr. Designer - 75%
- Design Team Lead - 25%
Sr. Designer Responsibilities
- Build out design comps to pixel perfect accuracy
- Ability to create structured, well-organized design files
- Inspect final designs and troubleshoot other QA issues
- Stay on top of best practices/trends/tools
- Research and propose new tools and methods to the team
- Work on implementing best practices, and AAA compliance
- Be flexible and open to alternative solutions from the development team
Design Team Lead Responsibilities
- Be involved in the design reviews and provide feedback to other team members
- Provide guidance and final decisions to both the design and development teams
- Join discovery calls with current and potential clients when needed
- Participate in scoping and planning work
- Review meeting notes, functional requirements and hand-off documentation
- Attend weekly project syncs, to maintain a full understanding of each project and what is currently in the pipeline
- Be available when the Design Director is occupied or unavailable
- Be available off hours for emergencies and questions when needed
- Nurturing a culture of inclusiveness and transparency
- Initiative: Embrace continuous learning and application of new design trends and best practices for modern web design
- Attention to Detail: Ensure that the design for the project is flawless and functional
- Collaboration: Work alongside the Developers to ensure attention to original design is upheld and provide direct feedback if changes are required to improve functionality
- Time Management: Respect assigned time parameters so as not to delay project presentation or be able to provide written rationale to the producers to communicate to the client.
- Engagement: Leads are also expected to participate in monthly design meetings to discuss ongoing projects, challenges, and potential solutions
- Communication: Clear, concise and direct. Ability to speak to clients and rationalize the work
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Experience using the Shopify platform preferred, but not necessary
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, team environment
- Strong knowledge of Adobe CC and Figma
- Experience building desktop and mobile websites in a responsive framework
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience collaborating with a development team
- Extremely strong attention to details, visual and content
- Previous experience working with a team
- Working knowledge of Figma
- Proficient in Adobe CC
This Lead role requires an increased level of commitment. It will require you to work smarter, not harder and will be supported by the leadership team in every way possible. If you are a creative thinker, a resourceful problem solver, and never shy away from a challenge, then you're the one we're looking for.
Why work here?
We're an award winning, dynamic and growing agency built on strong values. We focus on collaboration, creativity and the customer experience. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive team and want to expand our hiring of the non-binary, BIPOC and LGBTQ+ communities. So however you identify and whatever your background is, if you share our values, we want to hear from you!
We're working remotely for the time being (hanging out on Slack, and Discord when feeling fancy), and are likely to adopt some hybrid model once the pandemic is over. If we do return to an office, we promise it'll be a sweet spot with a stocked fridge and fresh decor. In person or at home, we're an environment that fosters creativity.
Pointer offers a flexible time off policy, with paid vacation & sick days. We have a comprehensive group benefit plan, that can included extended health and dental coverage. Oh and we've got great swag to deck you out from head to ankle.
$80,000.00 - $90,000.00